GPS tracking systems can provide your company with valuable information that will allow you to improve driver behavior. This results in direct savings for your organization in vehicle maintenance costs but more importantly, it improves the safety of your fleet through proper driving habits.
Driver safety is improved by changing the driver’s behavior regarding their driving habits and their speed of travel.
Essentially, many GPS units, including EZ Fleet's GPS tracking devices, capture the speed of the vehicle and its accelerometer captures acceleration-based events (Hard Acceleration / Hard Braking / Hard Left & Hard Right (i.e. hard cornering)) that occur throughout the driver’s day. EZ Fleet offers the following features to manage driver behavior:
- Speed – The unit reports speed as the vehicle is traveling.
- Max Speed Alert - a maximum speed threshold can be set as desired. When this threshold is tripped, an email alert will be sent. As an example: most companies set the threshold at 70 or 75 mph depending on the area.
- Posted Speed – you can choose the amount over posted speed that you want to be alerted to, for example: + 10 mph over posted speed. The system will compare the speed readings it received from the unit to the road's posted speed and send out an alert when the threshold is tripped.
- Acceleration - The unit uses the accelerometer to determine when the driver is accelerating too fast, braking too hard, or going too fast through a corner. These levels are preset so that normal driving does not trigger the event.
- Hard Acceleration – occurs when the driver accerlates too fast and can also occur when traveling UP a steep hill (i.e. if the driver is going up a steep hill, this can be normal)
- Hard Braking - under normal driving, this should not occur. The driver should be paying attention to the traffic flow and traffic lights. If they slam on the brakes, the event is captured and an alert can be sent.
- Hard Left & Hard Right – captured when the vehicle takes a corner too fast.
By monitoring these events and communicating with your drivers about the importance of reducing or eliminating their occurrence, most companies see improvements in driving behavior. This will have a direct impact on maintenance costs & fuel savings (i.e. less speeding = less fuel used) and will improve your bottom line (positive ROI). Improved safety is an additional and very important benefit as you'll like see fewer accidents and traffic violations.
Almost all of EZ Fleet's customers see improvement in fuel cost and productivity, often paying for the cost of the GPS tracking system in with the first month of use.